Two more students of Greenfield University, Kaduna, kidnapped over a week ago by bandits have been killed by their abductors who are insisting on payment of N800 million ransom.
Remains of three of the students, a male and two females, had earlier been found in a village close to the university.
Mr.Samuel Aruwan ,Commissioner, Ministry of Internal Security and Home Affairs in Kaduna State, who confirmed the killing of the two students yesterday, said the state government would update the citizenry on further developments.
“On a sad note, security agencies have just reported to Kaduna State government the recovery of two more dead bodies of Greenfield University students, killed by armed bandits today (yesterday) Monday, April 26, 2021.
“The retrieved corpses have been evacuated to a mortuary, and the university has been notified of the development. “
“The government of Kaduna State under the leadership of Malam Nasir El-Rufai is saddened by this evil perpetrated against innocent students abducted while pursuing their education for a glorious future. “
“The government sends its deep empathy to their families and the university management, and prays for the repose of their souls. The government will update the citizenry on further developments,” he said.
This now brings to five the number of students so far killed by the kidnappers, while demanding N800 million ransom from the parents.
Another 3 varsity students kidnapped in Benue
The killing of the students came as bandits again ran riot in some parts of the country yesterday, as they kidnapped three students of the Federal University of Agriculture, Makurdi, FUAM, in Benue State.
The bandits also attacked Kofar Kuyambana low cost housing estate in Zaria, Kaduna State, but were stoutly resisted by a combined efforts of the police and vigilante after a fierce gun battle, after which five of them were arrested.
This is even as tension, fear and apprehension gripped residents of Nasarawa State, following incessant attacks on communities by bandits, which have forced an estimated 50,000 farmers to flee their ancestral homes.
They are now taking refuge in three locations, including Agyaragu, Kadarko and Daudu
Also yesterday, Governor Abubakar Sani Bello of Niger State decried the incessant invasion of communities by bandits in the state, pointing out that no fewer than 50 villages had been sacked in five local government areas.
Vanguard gathered that the three students, whose identities are yet to be released by the institution at the time of this report, were abducted last Saturday night while studying near a lecture hall.
Confirming the development, the State Police Public Relations Officer, PPRO, Deputy Superintendent, DSP, Catherine Anene, said the command had already received report of the incident.
She said: “Information has been received by the school authority that on April 24, 2021, at about 10:20pm some unknown persons came into the school premises and kidnapped three of their students who were studying close to a lecture theater.
“We received that information and we are on it. I know that we are very close and we will continue to do our best.
“For now this is what I have for the media but my advise is that the members of the public should remain calm. We are doing our best to make sure that we get to the root of the matter and also apprehend the perpetrators of the crime.
“I assure parents of the students that the police will do our best to get back their children. They should remain calm and cooperate with us, we will do our best.”
Asked if the kidnappers had made any demands, the PPPRO said: “That is a classified information. When the incident happened we received reports from the school authorities and we are working on it in our own way. We do not need to wait for people to be contacted before we do our job.
“As soon as we received the information we deployed our teams and they are working both technically and physically. So we will continue to do our best. We do not have to wait for contacts to be established before we do our work. For now we do not have identity of the affected students.’’
Also confirming the incident, Vice Chancellor of the institution, Prof. Richard Kimbir, said the school was not sure of the number of students involved, assuring that the number of those involved would be ascertained at the end of an ongoing management meeting.
“We are holding a management meeting at the moment and at the end of the meeting we will confirm the number but for now we are sure of two because the kidnappers have made contacts with us,” he said.
Housing estate invaded in Zaria
In Kaduna, bandits who invade Kofar Kuyambana low cost housing estate in Zaria had it rough on Sunday night as the police, the vigilante and other security agents who engaged them in a fierce gun duel, arrested five of them.
Sadly, many of the bandits were able to escape through the nearby bush with two housewives and some children.
The incident, which happened around 9.30pm on Sunday, according to a local, caused many to have sleepless night as the gun battle resulted in pandemonium, even as some families in the housing estate scampered for safety .
It was learned that some Islamic pupils were caught in the cross fire but were quickly moved to a Zaria hospital where they are receiving medical attention.
According to the local, the gunmen came on motorbikes and targeted the house of a Customs officer in the housing estate.
“It was around 10pm; they were shooting and everybody was terrified. They forced the Customs officer’s wife and her children to follow them. They, however, left the children but abducted their mother,” he said.
The local said the bandits also attacked a neighboring house and took away another elderly woman.
“Police, other security agents and the vigilante performed wonderfully .They really tried as good fighters. We are grateful to Almighty Allah and we thank them immensely.
“They were able to arrest two bandits last night and three more yesterday morning,” the local said.
There was no official reaction on the latest attack, but the Kaduna Police Public Relations Officer confirmed the attack.
Fear, as residents desert 13 communities in Nasarawa
Similarly, fear and apprehension is mounting in Nasarawa State as incessant attacks by bandits continue to ravage communities, forcing over 50,000 farmers to flee their ancestral homes and take refuge elsewhere.
Residents and farmers in about 13 settlements have been displaced as a result of the attacks in some parts of the state.
The recent attacks are in Doma, Keana where scores had been allegedly massacred, with many others injured.
The deserted villages are Dooshima, Antsa, Dooka, Angwan Yara, Ikyayior, Targema, Tse Tor, Chia, Umurayi, Dooga, Gindan Rail, Ajikamaka and Ankoma all in Ekye development area, Doma South in Doma local government area of Nasarawa State.
They victims who were displaced by the rampaging herdsmen are currently taking refuge in Kardoroko in Keana LGA and Agyaragu, while others are taking refuge with relations, friends in Guma local government area of Benue State.
Speaking on the incident, President of Tiv Development Association, TIDA, Peter Ahemba, described the situation as pathetic, adding that the victims had been placed in very deep pains as a result of the crisis that hit the communities in Doma South three days ago
Addressing the displaced persons yesterday in Kardoroko and Agyaragu, Senior Special Assistant to Governor on conflict resolution, Moses Utondu, appealed to the displaced persons to remain calm, assuring that Governor Abdullahi Sule, would look into their problem.